These are shots from a nature hike we took recently through a wetlands preserve. It's an area we drive by on an almost weekly basis but had never stopped so I decided to just go the other day and see what it was like. It's too bad that the day turned out to be cloudy and on the verge of rain but we took a chance and the rain held off til just after we left. Now that we've done it we'll go back on a prettier day--maybe when the foliage is at the height of it's autumn change.






This was towards the end of the hike when Noah said, "I think we should go back now, this is sorta creepin' me out". Hopefully on a crisp, sunny fall day he won't feel that way.This nature walk marked the end of the first two weeks of our second go round with homeschooling. It's been an easy-going, enjoyable time too. The kids were ready for it I think--at least they haven't put up much of a fuss even if they aren't as enthused as I'd hoped they'd be. We are using a whole new curriculum this year and I like it a lot. It's literature based, which means we do a lot of reading together and that enables Lily to participate in the learning experience rather than feel left out as I think she did much of the time last year. Noah is reading like a champ these days and instead of just looking at the pictures or asking me to read something to him, I will find him reading to himself in his free time. He also loves to listen to books on CD and will often listen to the same one over and over again.
Today, after a morning of schoolwork, was spent at the park with a large group of friends, some old some new, who we will start meeting with regularly next week when Monday Homeschool Classes start up again. Noah will be playing soccer again and Lily will just be playing. There weren't any classes offered this session that were a good fit for either of the kids but it is really great for them to just get out and play with a really eclectic group of kids and I love to have the time with all the mothers. It's a great place to share ideas and stories and supporting one another in our common goal of educating our children. We all use different curriculums and are from all different walks of life but we at least have that one thing in common.
After seeing the way the kids played together at the park today, I am so excited for it to start again. Together, boys and girls, ages 3-8 built a log cabin out of dead tree branches and sticks in the woods at the edge of the playground. They had a fireplace inside, reinforced the walls with rocks, and built a fort near-by complete with sling shots and other 'weapons' to protect the cabin. It was really rather impressive!
So, yes, it's been a good beginning and, though I have already spent some time wondering if I have really chosen the best curriculum for our family or if I'm doing it right, or doing enough, I know that this road that we've chosen is right and good and will be a blessing to all of us.


6 comments:
Welcome back the joys and doubts of homeschooling. Your nature walk looked very pleasant (not creepy :). I'll be watching for more nature walk pictures in the future!
I like your new blog template, except that the black letters are really difficult to read over the brown.
I'm anxious to see all of you and hear Noah read to me!
Sounds like you are doing a great job homeschooling. The pictures are wonderful!
so glad to hear that things are going well with homeschooling!
that nature walk looks like a fun place...you'll have to get some more pictures as the leaves change.
Great photos. How adventurous of you! I'm sure the kids will ask for another walk soon.
I'm blessed to be in our little community of homeschoolers with you, Noah and Lily. It is a neat group, isn't it?
LOL! I'd probably be siding with Noah on this one... I'm all about enjoying God's beautiful creation, but bugs are NOT my friends!!
Post a Comment