Friday, November 23, 2007

"I'm Gonna Eat on Thanksgiving Day"

It's a song on one of the kids' cd's (Laurie Berkner) and I was singing it all day yesterday...

When I'm done my belly's so full
Down...I...lie
But before you can count to 1!2!3!
I'm up for the pumpkin pie!

And that's the way of every Thanksgiving day isn't it? I've always thought there was something terribly ironic about Thanksgiving...Hours and hours are spent preparing for this feast: baking the pies, cooking the turkey and ham, boiling and mashing the potatoes, Then you've got family that travels in from out of state sometimes and you all gather at somebody's house and they've had to clean and set up extra tables and chairs; the good dishes and silver are pulled out and decorations are set up. And then the moment arrives...everyone sits down together, someone prays and offers up all our thanks to God for all His blessings, then you pile your plates up high with all the tasty dishes that have been lovingly prepared...and 15 minutes later it's over, the dishes are being cleared and the food is put away before you dig into the yummy pies.

It seems like more time should be spent savoring these delectable dishes instead of just shoveling in more and more but they're so good you can hardly help yourself! It's just all over too quickly and before you know it the gathering is breaking up and everyone heads off to their own respective homes. As much as I look forward to this holiday, it's just a tad disappointing.

Don't get me wrong...We did have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Earlier in the week I read "The First Thanksgiving" with the kids and we talked about why we celebrate this holiday and on Wednesday, they helped me make another batch of the "Fall Inspired Sugar Cookies" to add to all the other goodies. On Thanksgiving Day we spent a nice morning together and each of us talked about what we were thankful for before heading over to Becky and Charlie's to share the day with the extended family. The kids had a grand time playing with their cousins, Ariel and Alex, as well as Allie, Luke's cousin who is great with kids...they all adore her. When everyone else left, Luke and I stayed, and watched a great movie with Becky and Charlie. It really was a nice day, I only wish that it didn't have to be over so quickly.

Well, at least Christmas is only 31 days away...

7 comments:

Patrick said...

Ditto! All the fuss is made to have all the right dishes, and have them hot at the same time, and then poof! It's over.

Erin said...

Yep, I feel the same way. Are there really only 31 days until Christmas? Yikes!

Charles and Rebecca said...

I spent time with the kids today and we were talking about how thankful we should be that we have our family around us on a regular basis not just on the Holidays. Thanks for hanging out with us Thursday night, Becky and I always enjoy having you and Luke in our house (hard to believe after all the teasing right!) and even though the old people don't hand out for long we are glad you do!

Meliss said...

We had uncomplicated food this year and it seemed very easy, but the food tasted better than ever before. Our local relatives stayed from noon till 9 pm!

Margie said...

There were only 8 of us this year but the food was very good and we're still enjoying the leftovers today. Bruce's sermon on this Sunday was about having a thankful spirit and how giving thanks to God overcomes much evil in our lives. It was very significant.

HomeGrownLife said...

I love that you are counting down to Christmas! So happy that you are all talking about what you're thankful for. And about the food... so true.

~Seth and Nancy~ said...

sounds like a fun day!
it is kind of funny how it takes longer to do the dishes than it does to actually eat the meal :-)