It was not all for naught however, our tomato plant fared well and we have harvested a few ripe tomatoes from its vine. There are more plump green tomatoes hanging there as well though with all the cool nights, they are not ripening (I will have to attempt to fry some). And, after hearing of our woes, a neighbor shared some of her pole bean seeds with us. Having learned from our previous planting mistakes, we placed our little seeds of hope in the garden, watered them daily, and waited. Sure enough, after a few days we saw the little heads of our bean sprouts and in the following weeks watched as the plants climbed higher and higher up their trellis and then start flowering. Jus a few days ago we picked some nice large beans off our plants. I prepared them and it was just enough for the kids and I to eat them with our dinner (Luke was working late that night so was unable to enjoy them with us). They were delicious and I at least felt a sense of accomplishment as we dined.



As a way to further the kids experience with growing things I picked a project that would be more likely to have good results. We made grass caterpillars using the legs off an old pair of Lily's stockings. We filled them with dirt and grass seeds, tied the ends, and glued some old buttons on for a face. The kids had to water them every day and, of course, wait. After a couple of days, they were yelling excitedly that they could see the grass sprouting through the stockings. And over the next several days we watched as the caterpillars grew their fuzz.





It was like making our own little Chia Pets. It may not be very useful and we won't be able to eat this one, but it sure was fun!
9 comments:
cute catepillars! i remember doing that at daycamp...we did heads with hair on top, though some of the kids had hair growing out of the faces because of misplaced grass seed :-) it was always a fun project!
Holy moly the catepillars are great! Please don't be too discouraged about your garden this year. With all the early rain not many gardens servived this year. The beans look beautiful though.
Very fun!
I'm impressed, Jackie!
No matter the outcome, I'm sure the kids enjoyed the process off planting and waiting for the garden to grow.
Your "chia pets" look great and at least there is a victory there!
very neat...they look great!
I may have to steal the caterpillar project. What a cute idea!!
Wow - those caterpillars are the coolest project! I'm also coveting your homegrown veggies, even if they didn't go quite as you had hoped. My couple attempts at tomatoes were failures. :(
Ok... those are adorable!! :-) Nice work!!!
Post a Comment