The other day the kids and I stopped at the grocery store to pick up a couple of things for dinner but when we got back in the truck, it wouldn't start. I called Luke who was on his way home from work and he came to the grocery store to see if he could jump it. Shortly after he arrived, the person parked facing my truck left so Luke stood in the parking space as she was leaving so that I could pull his pick-up in so that the cables would reach. Only, as I was trying to navigate the busy parking lot, another person pulled into that spot. Apparently the woman didn't care that Luke was standing there...she just kept coming at him forcing him back. When he explained what he was doing, she rudely said, "You'll just have to wait 'til I'm done at the pharmacy!"
What?! I don't know why, but I am still shocked when I encounter people so rude and self-centered. Obviously she was in a hurry...but maybe it was for serious reasons...maybe her kid at home was really sick and needed the medicine or some other emergency. But how does that make it ok to threaten running someone over for a parking spot?! Especially when there was one being vacated at that moment 2 spaces CLOSER to the store!!!
When he told me what happened, I got so mad, my heart was pounding and my stomach was churning. I wanted to scream and yell at that woman. I wanted to tell her how mean and selfish she was. I wanted to ask her how she felt about making my children wait longer in the freezing cold car. I wanted to make her feel really bad and maybe, just maybe she would apologize.
But, I didn't. I had to pray through that anger and ask God for a little control. When she came back out and got in her car I just looked at her, waved, and said "Thank you". I suppose it was a little dig...maybe just to give her a little twinge of guilt...but it was not the tirade I wanted to unleash on her.
It turned out that it wasn't the battery anyway so jumping it did nothing. We still had to call AAA, who sent a tow truck. The driver was able to mess around and get it started since it was the starter that had suddenly gone bad and we have since had it (the starter, not the truck, sadly) replaced. All is well again and we are none the worse for wear.
So, that is the drama that happened to us this week. I keep remembering it and those feelings of anger and incredulity keep bubbling up so I thought if I shared it, I could let it go...
Maybe I ought to just keep praying for the woman and whatever situation she was dealing with that made her act in that way.
5 comments:
That's what a dark, cold, stony heart will do to a person. She sounds like one of the walking dead. Thankfully, you have been given a heart able to respond to the help of the Holy Spirit. (((Jackie)))
The kids and I just read about the Israelites and the golden calf. After all that the Lord had done for them...
"Praise be tho the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade --kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God's power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time. In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. These have come so that your faith -- of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire -- may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed..." I Pet. 1: 3-7
When we bump against the stony hearts of others, our hearts can be polished to reflect Christ in greater measure.
I love you!
thanks melissa!
we have been reading about the israelites as well--just read about the snakebites that were punishment for yet another rebellion. i keep having to remind myself that it's not just about their stupidity and stubborness but a warning for me to not be the same way...
At the moment it happened I almost lost it. It was only because my kids were right there and I realized that they would probably get taken away that I didn't stuff her back in her car and do lots of damage to her and her car. Instead, I'm not really sure why, I just waited for her to come out and move.
So good of you to be able to dig deep and find that patience and self-control that you children needed to see you demonstrate. How infuriating though...
oh, good for you...that's takes strength & it's great you found it before letting loose. whew!
happy new year to your family.
Post a Comment