Friday, May 30, 2008

"I've never seen this before"

That's what the doctor said to me today at my CAT-scan review appointment. He said he spent an hour looking at my scans last night and looking in all his medical literature to find out what the best treatment would be. He couldn't find anything. There is a piece of bone that has not only been displaced but rotated about 180 degrees. He showed me the scan and apparently I was totally off on where the fracture was in that x-ray I posted. It's actually on the other side of the bone. I went back and looked at the other x-ray views now that I know where to look and there is another shot that actually shows the bone hanging there. I'm surprised I missed it before.

See?
So, he's going to correspond with a couple of foot/ankle specialists and see what kind of consensus they can come to about whether we should leave it alone to heal or surgically replace it to heal.

Oh and they put me in a full cast instead of the splint because they said it would be more comfortable than the splint that had altered its shape and was moving around too much. So far...it's not. Hopefully I will just get used to it.

But, it's blue! Isn't that special?

Luke went back to work yesterday so I have been fending for myself and it hasn't been too bad. That is mostly due to the huge help that Noah has been and the fact that he and Lily have been getting along famously and keeping themselves entertained in the beautiful outdoors. I have discovered that a folding chair comes in quite handy in the kitchen and so am a bit more useful in there.

Everyone is being very helpful and sweet to me providing childcare and even a meal tonight. I am grateful to all for your help and your prayers and well-wishes. Thank you so much!

5 comments:

Jeff and Michelle said...

Wow - that bone sticking up is crazy! I'm glad the kids are being so helpful. Excellent color choice on the cast, btw.

Erin said...

That's not something you want to hear from your doctor. Glad to hear the kids are getting along and being a big help!

Kansas said...

Ewww. I'll take my skinned up shins anyday! :-)

~Seth and Nancy~ said...

those are never good words to hear from a doctor's mouth! that's crazy! hopefully it's something that will heal on it's own and won't need a whole lot of help. glad to hear that the kiddos are helping out!

Meliss said...

What's the latest? Is your cast still hurting you?