Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Rhode Island Road Trip

As many of you already know my beloved cousin, Julie, and her family recently moved from Colorado to Rhode Island. While some of you are lamenting their loss, I am overjoyed at their change of address. As opposed to being 4 plane tickets or a two day drive away from us, they are now only a paltry two hours away. So, this past weekend we drove out to spend the day with them for the first time since they have gotten settled in. The day turned out to be beautiful and we were able to enjoy a nice walk around Newport watching people, boats, and lobsters. We also played at the park and enjoyed lunch and dinner together in their apartment. It was so good to just be together again!

I had missed them so much. I hadn't seen Elijah since he was a few months old and now he is a walking, talking, brilliant almost 2 year old. I am excited to be around when their new baby girl is born and hope to be able to help out when she comes.



And now that we have visited, I can show you my latest knitting project: a hat and sweater set for Baby Girl Tanner:


And in completely unrelated news...I am saddened to report that the tadpoles are no more. I have been relatively successful so far with the raising of two children but somehow baby toads are beyond me. I researched how to raise them and thought I was following the right course but apparently not. Thank goodness there were a million (at least) other eggs in that pond and we have not harmed the species at all in our attempt to watch a complete metamorphosis. I think from now on we will just let nature take its course where it should--in nature and not in my house. Oh, and that reminds me, the caterpillar didn't make it either. I finally found a picture of the actual coccoon of the Tiger Moth and it didn't look like Fuzzy's cocoon. I think maybe he died in the process of forming the cocoon. I think I am not cut out for the hands on method of teaching science. That's what we have the internet for, right?

9 comments:

Charles and Rebecca said...

I'm glad you got to spend time in RI thankfully they are close but not so close that I have to worry about you choosing to spend time with them or me! :) Sorry to hear about the nature project, we lucked out one time with the caterpillar Ariel found at a friends cookout but we have been unsuccessful in other attempts since then. It was nice having you here for mothers day, as it is every weekend.

C.

Meliss said...

I'm so glad that you kill the tadpoles and not the children. :) We have tried twice to do the mail order caterpillars, but they died both times. I'm done.

Glad you had a good time with the Tanners. Fun to see the pictures!

Margie said...

I'm glad that you can visit with your food friends again. It's nice for me to see pictures of both families. The grandmother's will be glad to see them too.

Margie said...

Whoops, I meant to write good not food!

Erin said...

I wish I could have been there to hang out with you guys too! You are getting really good at knitting! What a beautiful sweater! I agree with Melissa about the tadpoles!

our story.... said...

wow...that sweater is incredible....amazing

Julie said...

i'm glad you got more pictures than we did - ours are all of naked kids in the tub! =) it was so fun to see you guys.

p.s. the sweater is even prettier in person. =)

HomeGrownLife said...

Your visit sounds amazing. It will be so nice to have them close by!
Yes, the tadpoles... at least your eggs hatched. Ours didn't even make it out of that stage.

daniele @ domestic serenity said...

I love, love, love the sweater set! great job. too bad about the science projects, oh well.