- CO2 is what makes the bubbles
- a can of diet soda floats but a can of regular soda sinks (the sugar in the regular soda makes it more dense)
- when you put raisins in soda they dance (the bubbles 'hug' the raisin making it lighter so that it floats but, when it gets to the top, the bubbles pop releasing the CO2 and the raisin sinks again)
- when you add sugar or salt to soda it makes it fizz (they react with the CO2)
- when you heat a can of soda that has just a little bit of water in it and then dunk it upside down in ice water it collapses (the water turns to vapor, which takes up more room; when it is cooled quickly it condenses and reduces the pressure inside the can and the outside air pressure, being greater, crushes the can)
- when you put a bunch of Mentos into a 2 liter bottle of soda it can make a 35 ft geyser (the sugar reacting with the CO2 again)
Tuesday, June 24, 2008
Soda Science
Today we attended a class at a local church. A homeschooling mom needed to raise money for her kids to go to camp this summer so she organized and taught a science class based on the properties of soda. Here's some of what we learned:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
The Mentos trick works with regular soda? I thought it only worked with diet Coke. I will have to call Myth Busters.
Well, I'm not sure I would call them yet...She did it twice. The first time was with a diet cola and the second was with Sprite but it could have been diet--I'm not sure. It worked better with the Sprite but that's probably only b/c the mentos dispenser thingy fell of the top of the bottle.
that is: off the top of the diet cola bottle.
I think you mean pop, right? Sounds like a fun summer activity that is educational too!
Sounds like a lot of fun! There are so many things out there for homeschoolers now-a-days!
Thank you for the little lesson for us readers (since we missed it). What an outing. Noah will be talking about Mentos for the rest of his life!!!
Overdue notice: Your next blog post is late. Please rectify this delinquency or you will be required to visit in person. Warning - There will be a digital camera recall on any account overdue seven days or more.
P.S. I know, I'm a total hypocrite.
Just wondering how you moved the website address for your new layout to the side.
Post a Comment