It's been a really hot week: every day a little hotter than the one before. Today it is 91 degrees and there is not a cloud in sight to break the intensity of the sun (even though the humidity is pretty high and they're calling for scattered thunderstorms). I have taken Noah and his friend Sophia to swimming lessons every morning and sweated it out while they frolicked in the water and complained of being cold. I would have paid money to be able to get in with them. It's a good thing the lessons are only 35 minutes long. Next week is supposed to be more of the same but Sophia's mom will be going to the pool while I will get to stay with her two younger kids and Lily at her nicely air conditioned house. I am so glad that we were able to get the kids in the same session because I can't even imagine having to take Lily with me. It would have been a battle every day to keep her out of that pool and I probably would have fainted from heat exhaustion. I met another homeschooling mom there and another who goes to the women's Bible Study I used to attend and will be again in September. As big as this town is, it's still got a small-town feel to it, which is really nice.
Today Luke had the day off but had to go to the doctor for a long over due physical (I really hope he gets a good report) so we weren't able to do any special day trips like we wanted to. Instead, he spent the morning putting together bunk beds for the kids. Gone are the Thomas the Tank Engine toddler bed and the crib that has been a constant fixture for over 5 years now. The kids are "napping" in there right now. And I say "napping" because I think they are experiencing the newness of the beds rather than sleeping in them. Noah doesn't even take naps anymore but he was thrilled at the possibility today. He has been so excited about these bunk beds for so long and now, finally, he has achieved the dream. It remains to be seen whether either of them will actually achieve a dream state in them however. So far, Lily has not been climbing in and out of her bed, which was my biggest concern, so that's a good sign.
I plan on remaining cosseted in my room for the rest of the day enjoying the cool of the air conditioner. We do not have any downstairs and it is rather steamy down there. Who knows what dinner will be tonight since I don't plan on turning on any heating elements in the kitchen. Last night we had pizza delivered and watched a movie on the laptop while we dined in the bedroom. You just can't do pizza every night though.
And here is Noah now--apparently he wasn't that tired after all. He reports that Lily is indeed asleep. Success!
2 comments:
Yuck! It is really hot and sticky here too! Hope you can post a picture of the new bunk beds soon. I always thought it would be fun to have bunk beds when I was a kid.
It's so much fun to keep up with your family via your blog. Thanks for the news and the pictures. I long for the day I can retire and visit my grandchildren around the country!
Mother
Post a Comment