I have started doing a 'circle time' in the morning before starting school work. I got the idea from a website that my sister recommended to me called "Preschoolers and Peace", which has all kinds of suggestions for what to do with your preshooler while the older kids are doing their work. Lily can participate in circle time unlike most of the other school stuff so maybe she won't feel left out. Today was only the second day so I'm not sure it will always look the same but we read Scripture (started in Genesis) together and work on memorization (Genesis 1:1, which Noah already has memorized) and pray together. I'll probably add in some singing too. Hopefully it will help get our day off to a good start.
Noah is doing really well with his work. The most important task this year is of course teaching him how to read. He is off to a great start with a phonics book: Phonics Pathways. He's already reading three letter words! I made up some flashcards for him of two-letter blends for review and threw in some consonant cards that I add onto the end of a blend and he whipped through them. I had him go through them the other evening for Luke, who was duly impressed and gave Noah a huge confidence boost with his praise. We have to be careful how we praise him because he tends to get embarassed and shut down but he took it well and seemed very proud of himself. I am very proud of him too!
We also do some copy work and a math workbook and tomorrow we will do our second science unit. I also have some fun workbooks that help stimulate his brain as well as train him to think critically. He enjoys those but says that math is his favorite subject--I guess he's taking after his father already...
Here he is doing some copy work:
2 comments:
That's my boy!
SO COOL!!!
Post a Comment