Thursday, September 06, 2007

Three Days Down...

...and so far so good. Thank you for your prayers. Noah has not yet started begging to 'go' to school, I have not yet thrown in the proverbial towel and Lily is really interested in everything we are doing and is even picking some things up. Good signs.

On our first day, Noah said he was glad that he got to stay home for school. And, after talking with friends whose kids started kindergarten in the public schools, I am even more glad for it. I didn't have to watch him get on a bus with a bunch of strangers or know he'd be on that bus for over an hour with junior high students on the way home. I don't have to deal with teachers who do not want me to show my face in the classroom--not even to bring in cupcakes to celebrate a birthday. I don't have to hear about the little boys who tell my son they are going to kill him. No amount of frustration that might be experienced by either me or Noah could outweigh my desire to keep him home with me in my care providing one on one instruction in a way that even the best, most dedicated and caring teacher could not do.

Of course I know that Noah wouldn't necessarily experience any of those things if I sent him off to school and many children don't and never will and are getting a fine education as well. Hearing those stories this past week just solidified it for me that, right now, this is what is right for us.

Next week we start a weekly program at the library and BSF, which is a women's Bible study that also provides classes for 2-6 year olds, and then the following week we start Monday Homeschool Classes at a nearby children's museum. Noah will take a geography class and have time to explore the museum and have a jokes, riddles, and games period while Lily will get to hang out with other pre-school aged kids whose siblings are taking classes. It should be fun and I'm sure we will meet all kinds of interesting families. My friend, Jill, and her kids will also be attending the MHC's, which will just make it that much more enjoyable. So, we will not be completely homebound.

I'll keep you posted...

6 comments:

HomeGrownLife said...

You know your children best and I have witnessed first hand what an insightful and wise mother you are. Keep up the good work and the contentment!

Carolynn said...

I'm glad it's going so well! There are so many activities now a days for homeschooled children. It's come long way. I know you will enjoy BSF, my mom has been doing it for at least 20 years. She really enjoys it. I'm glad you are having a great first week! You're in our prayers!

~Seth and Nancy~ said...

kindergarteners and jr. high kids on the same bus...yikes!!
sounds like you're making some good connections and keeping busy!
it's amazing all the stuff that's out there for homeschoolers nowadays. i bet lily's gonna be ahead of the game too :-D

Erin said...

Glad to hear that things are going well with homeschooling. I can't believe those horror stories. Yikes!

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that its going so well. I'm glad your out doin stuff too. Thank you for sending me those numbers too by the way. Talk to you soon!

Anne said...

Hey Jackie...

Hats off to you for homeschooling. Matt is trying to convince me to homeschool our kiddos, but I don't know if I'd be up for it. Fortunately, I have a few years to wait. :) You can see pictures of our little guy on my blog: acboyle.blogspot.com