Wednesday, April 30, 2008

"Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary...

"How does your garden grow?"

Well, ours doesn't have silver bells or cockle shells but it does have a tomato plant. The kids and I planted our first garden today. It's just a small 'teaching' garden. I don't have the room or the gumption for a full scale garden but I did want the kids to be able to see the whole process from seed to veggie. We'll see if anything actually grows.

We planted carrots, radishes, lettuce, spinach, peas , and one tomato plant. We used the'seed tape' method of planting for the smallest seeds. You wet a strip of toilet paper, place the seeds in the center, then fold the top and bottom halves over the seeds and spray again. This way you can simply lay the strip into the dirt. It was fun and did make quick work of the planting.

Surprisingly, the kids didn't want to help with any of the digging but Noah is more than willing to do the watering and hopefully I can get him to do the weeding too...



2 comments:

daniele @ domestic serenity said...

aww, they will enjoy it! I should be more inspired to garden some, but I just can't seem to get there. ugh.

Patrick said...

That is sweet! Have fun.