We have started our own little nature center. It includes two sets of potted herbs, a caterpiller in its coccoon and a jar of toad eggs. On the first Saturday of every month, Home Depot holds kid clinics in which kids get to 'build' their own little project and April's was an herb planter. Both kids were able to make one so we have two sets of chives, sweet basil, and parsely. Two is probably better since I have doubts that all of them will take off. We do have several sprouts already so things are looking good.

Then a few weeks ago, Noah found a 'Woolly Bear' caterpillar and so we brought it home and put it in a jar. It seemed to still want to hibernate and we were starting to worry that it just wasn't faring well. So, Noah decided to let it go but when he went to put it outside, he noticed that Fuzzy (his very creative name) didn't look the same anymore. He had already changed into a coccoon! Now we are just waiting to see if the Tiger Moth will emerge.

Fuzzy
And then this past week we headed to a park with some friends and were able to watch the toads mating and catch some as well (which we let go immediately). The pond was chock full of these toads and their eggs so we extracted a string and will wait to see if any tadpoles emerge.








7 comments:
That's so cool! Keep us posted on the butterfly and toad eggs!
Mmm - I love the smell of fresh basil. I hope yours are successful!
I wish I could do all those fun things with you!
Charlotte Mason would be proud! We had fun gathering the toad eggs with all of you. Interesting, and slightly creepy seeing all of the strands of eggs appear!
Wow, you're brave having all of those critters in your house. Let us know what happens with them. It is pretty cool for the kids to see nature up close like that.
how fun!! putting your degree to work, huh? ;-)
oh, I love your nature center. and, what a wonderful outing!
Post a Comment